Effective April 3oth, 2018 Last updated January 20, 2021
If you are a California or Nevada resident, you may view our California and Nevada privacy notices here.
This Policy contains the following sections:
- Types of Information We Collect
- How We Collect Your Information
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Share Your Information
- Choices Regarding Your Information
- Children Under 18
- Storage and Transfer of Information
- Accessing and Correcting Your Information
- Third-Party Links
- How to Contact Us
- Changes In Policy
TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT.
We collect information from you and about you. Here are some examples of the information we may collect:
- Contact information.For example, we may collect your name and mailing address. We might also collect phone numbers and email addresses.
- Billing information.For example, if you make a purchase or enroll in a conference or class, we or our vendors may collect your credit or debit card number and your billing address.
- Account information.If you create an account, we may collect your username and password.
- Employment Information. We may collect information about your employer, including your business address and contact information. We may also collect information about your job title and position.
- Information you post or submit.For example, we may collect the information you post on our Platform. We may also collect the information or photos you submit in connection with one of our studies or campaigns.
- Social media information.We may collect posts you make on our social media pages or your social media profile information. We may also collect information or pictures you post using a hashtag associated with one of our campaigns.
- Device Information. For example, we may collect the type of device you use to access our Platform. We may also collect your device identifier, IP address or operating system type.
- Commercial Information. We may collect personal information that could identify you and relates to the products or services in which you are interested, or have considered or purchased. We may also collect personal information about your purchasing habits, or consuming history or tendencies.
- Usage Information. We may collect information regarding how you use the Platform. For example, we may collect information regarding what Platform features are useful or most frequently used.
- Technical Information. If you use our Platform, we may collect information about the browser you are using. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us.
How we collect your Personal information.
We collect your information in different ways. Below are some examples of how we may collect your information:
- Directly from you. For example, we might collect your information when you:
- Purchase a membership;
- Purchase or download our materials or services;
- Sign up for an event or order our report;
- Sign up to receive our emails or newsletters;
- Complete an online form;
- Contact our support team;
- Interact with our social media pages or hashtags; or
- Otherwise interact with us
- Passively. We use common tracking technologies to collect information passively. We do this in our websites and in emails that we send to you. We collect information about users over time when you use this Platform. We may have third parties collect personal information this way.
- From third parties.We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, this may include receiving information from:
- Our business partners, including online advertising networks and analytics vendors;
- Social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn;
- Your employer; and
- Other third parties who provided your information because they think you may be interested in our products or services.
- By combining information. For example, we may:
- Combine information that we collect offline with information we collect through our Platform.
- Combine information we collect about you from the different devices you use to access our Platform.
- Combine information we get from third-parties with information we already have about you.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you.This includes responding to your questions or inquiries. We will also use your information to send you information about your account or about our relationship.
- To provide you with our products and services.This includes fulfilling your order requests. This may also include registering you for our conferences.
- To understand your interests and improve our products and services.We may use your information to make our Platform, products and services better. This may include improving user experience. We may also use your information to customize your experience with us. For example, we may use your information to determine your interest in our products and services or to better understand what products and services interest you.
- For marketing purposes.We may provide you with information about current or new products, services and events, or other types of ads. We might use your information to serve you with ads. These might be third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting. We may also have our business partners serve you with ads about our products and services. For more information related to our marketing, and how you can control our marketing, please see the Choices section below.
- For security purposes.This could include protecting MSCI and our members. It may also include protecting our Platform.
- As otherwise permitted or required by law or as we may notify you.This includes using your information for our legitimate business needs.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
We may share your information in the following ways:
- We may share your information with our chapters, subsidiaries and affiliated entities for the purposes described in this Policy.
- On Our Platform. If you submit a picture or other content, we may display that information publicly on the Platform. We may also include your information in our directory or an event attendee list. If you would like to opt-out of being included in this type of sharing, please see the “Choices” section below for further instructions.
- With third parties who perform services on our behalf.For example, this may include payment processors or companies that send emails for us. It may also include companies that run our websites, provide analytics or marketing services, or help fulfill orders or other member requests for us.
- With our business partners. For example, this may include organizations that co-sponsor an event with us or that we think may be of interest to you.
- With third parties for marketing purposes.This may include third parties that serve ads on our behalf. This may also include third parties in whose products or services we believe you may be interested. These third parties may also share your information with others. These third parties may use your information for their own marketing purposes or the marketing purposes of others. This may include the delivery of interest-based advertising.
- With any successor to all or part of our business as permitted by law.For example, if all or part of our business is sold, we may share your personal information with the new owner. This may include as part of an asset sale, corporate reorganization or other change of control.
- To comply with the law or to protect ourselves.This includes responding to a court order or subpoena. It could also include sharing information if a government agency or investigatory body requests. We might share information when we are investigating a potential fraud. This could include fraud we think has occurred during a sweepstakes or promotion. We may also share information if you are the winner of a sweepstakes or other contest with anyone who requests a winner’s list.
- Where you have asked us to share your information with a third party.
- For other reasons we may describe to you.
CHOICES REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION.
You can opt out of receiving our marketing emails. To stop receiving our promotional emails, follow the instructions in any promotional message you receive from us. Note that even if you opt out of our promotional emails, you will still receive transactional messages from us.
You can opt-out of our member directory. To do so, you can adjust the settings in your member profile or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
California and Nevada Privacy rights. If you are a California or Nevada resident, you may view our California and Nevada privacy notices here.
CHILDREN UNDER 18.
Our Platform is meant for adults. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 18 and strive to comply with the provisions of COPPA (The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child has provided us with information, please contact us at email@example.com. You can also write to us at the address listed at the end of this website Policy. Please mark your inquiries “COPPA Information Request.” Parents, you can learn more about how to protect children’s privacy on-line here.
The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our Platform will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet. We use reasonable physical, technical, and organizational means to help safeguard personal information under our control. Usernames and passwords are needed to access certain areas of our Platform. It is your responsibility to protect your username and password.
Personal Information may be accessed by persons within our organization, or our third-party service providers, who require such access to carry out the purposes described in this Policy, or otherwise permitted or required by applicable law.
STORAGE AND TRANSFER OF INFORMATION.
Information we maintain may be stored in the United States. If you live outside of the United States, you understand and agree that we may transfer your personal information to the United States. This site is subject to U.S. laws, which may not provide the same level of protections as those in your own country. Personal Information processed and stored in another country, including the United States, may be subject to disclosure or access requests by the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies in that country according to its laws.
By using our Platform or by providing us with personal information, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION.
If you are a resident of Canada, you have a right to request access to your personal information and to request a correction to it if you believe it is inaccurate. If you would like to have access to the personal information we have about you, or if you would like to have it corrected, please contact us using the contact information provided below. In some cases, we may not be able to allow you to access certain personal information in certain circumstances, for example if it contains personal information of other persons, or for legal reasons. To help protect against fraudulent requests for access to your personal information, we may ask you for information to allow us to confirm that the person making the request is you or is authorized to access your information before granting access. For example, we may require you to verify your identity before you access your personal information.
WE MAY LINK TO THIRD-PARTY SITES.
Our Platform may contain links to other third-party sites that are not governed by this Policy. If you click on a link to a third-party site, you will be taken to a site we do not control. We are not responsible for the privacy practices used by third-party sites. We suggest that you read the privacy policies of those sites carefully.
HOW TO CONTACT US.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 847-485-3000. You may also write to us at the following address:
Metals Service Center Institute
4201 Euclid Avenue
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY.
© 2021 Metals Service Center Institute. All rights reserved.