Global Economic Analysis and News of Note
The purchasing managers’ indexes (PMIs) for several countries were released last week. All of the reports mentioned below, and other reports, can be found here. Notable results include:
- The JP Morgan global manufacturing index, which found the global manufacturing sector improved in January. The bank’s PMI rose to 51.7 in January from 51.5 in December as output and new orders strengthened.
- The HSBC PMI for China, which rose to 49.7 in January from 49.6 in December. New orders in China rose for the first time since last October while the employment fell to a 15-month low.
- The Markit Eurozone PMI, which improved to 51.0 in January from 50.6 in December as the manufacturing sectors in France, Italy, Austria and Greece continued to struggle.
- The Markit PMI for Japan, which rose to 52.2 in January from 52.0 in December as output and new orders improved.
- The HSBC India PMI, which fell to 52.9 in January from 54.5 in December even though production and new orders remained strong.